Sunday, July 1, 2012

My writing style

I used to love to write. I could crank out a 3 page paper in the 15 minutes before a class, handwritten,.no rough draft, no corrections, and get an A every time. Even through my English Comp courses in college, always A's, very few corrections even though now they were done on a computer. Even spell and grammar check rarely picked anything up. Some teachers let me get away with only a final draft, some didn't. Looking back, it was mostly because any energy I had to do homework went to the subjects I needed more time or energy for, since my migraines were fairly severe even then.
I haven't written much since school, emails for work, bullet point info for Powerpoint presentations, but for the most part I've stopped doing something I loved because any energy I had went elsewhere. I have a knack for numbers, so went into Marketing Analytics, by accident really, as I had initially applied for an accounting position. The gruelling hours of that position eventually led me back down the path to chronic vs episodic migraines.
I probably could have gone into journalism with my writing skills. May have been a better choice as writing is something I could maybe have done freelance on my good days.
I wanted to enter a chronic migraine writing contest a few months back. Rewrite Your Day - an essay about what day you had lost to migraine and what you had missed or would replace the day of pain with. In reality I would have needed to rewrite a day without migraine to have a day to write it. An online friend and chronic migraineur won one of the entry time frames of the contest.
In reality, I don't.know that I could have won. I now write what CMers call Migrainese. I talk in circles, transpose words, misspell frequently, and my punctuation.is awful. I rarely bother to fix it. The other CMers(chronic migrainuers) understand what I mean, and thats mostly who I communicate with these days.
So if my posts don't make sense, or have a million misspelled words, etc, please be kind and don't point it out. I miss writing well, but I'm slowly learning to accept my limitations, and if I only have 10 good minutes to write a post, I'm not going to spend half of it fixing my errors. Please understand I wish I could.crank out perfect writing like I used to, but I can't.  Maybe one day I will find a better med.combo,.and be able to write like I used to, work like I used to, spend time with my kids like I used to, really that part is number one, the kids. Just please go easy on my mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment